Tuesday 23 August 2011

Florence and The Machine - What The Water Gave To Me



Florence and The Machine are officially back, offering a sumptuous slice from their greatly anticipated second album. The track, ‘What The Water Gave To Me’, progresses fleetingly from the first album 'Lungs', whilst maintaining their original brand of femininity and fraught romance. With its wonderfully haunting vocals, and epic instrumentals- it is unmistakably Florence- and her machine has clearly been spring cleaned and oiled up for the occasion- scrumptious.

Although the angry feminist inside me struggles to criticize this boisterous leading lady; I cannot help but feel slightly bereft after her latest offering. It is a soulful slap in the face, but it does not take long for the bruising to fade, and for your eyes to stop watering.

Admittedly, after three listens, the song has succeeded in permeating my brain, but it is spiralling round in a bizarre mash-up of ‘My Boy Builds Coffins’ and ‘Drumming Song’, and is quite frankly making me feel a little disorientated. Sorry Florence, I’m still going to buy your album, but right now I need to go and lie down.

Words from Camilla James


Live Version.

No comments:

Post a Comment